Healthier Egg Salad
As a vegetarian, eggs are a staple in my diet. Thankfully, there are so many different ways to prepare them, so boredom really doesn’t become a factor with this protein powerhouse. This healthier version omits the mayo but has all the flavor of traditional egg salad.
FOR THE EGG SALAD:
- 6 hard cooked eggs
- 3/4 cup diced celery (about 3 medium stalks)
- 1/4 cup plain non-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Pink Himalayan sea salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- 3 slices whole grain bread, toasted for open-faced sandwiches*
- Arugula, tomato, thin onion slices, additional chopped fresh dill,
- or other toppings of your choice
Peel the eggs and chop into a rough dice. I like to use my egg slicer for this step. Slice the eggs across the usual way then, keeping the egg slices together, rotate the egg on the slicer and slice again. Voila! Perfectly chopped hard boiled eggs in like 5 seconds.
Place the chopped eggs in a large mixing bowl along with all the remaining ingredients. Mix until well combined.
Serve egg salad on toasted bread* with tomatoes, arugula, and a slice of onion.
*Use gluten-free bread if needed. I often pass on the bread altogether and make lettuce boats filled with the egg salad. So delish!!
Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days for a quick snack or meal.