Slow Cooker Vegetable Stew
This vegan Slow Cooker Vegetable Stew is packed with chickpeas, cauliflower, spinach, and other yummy veggies. I like to add in whatever veggies I have on hand, so it’s never the same stew twice.This time around, I added in broccoli and carrots in addition to what the standard recipe calls for. You can’t go wrong in terms of nutrition by adding in more veggies!
- olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper chopped
- 2 cloves garlic coarsely chopped
- 2 cups low-sodium organic vegetable broth
- 1 (14.5-oz.) can diced tomatoes, no added salt
- 2 15-oz. cans chickpeas (garbanzo beans) drained, rinsed
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tbsp. pure maple syrup
- 1 tbsp. finely chopped fresh ginger
- ½ tsp. sea salt or Himalayan salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 dash ground cayenne pepper optional
- 1 medium head cauliflower cut into florets
- 1 (10-oz.) bag raw baby spinach
- 1 cup lite coconut milk
Heat oil in medium nonstick skillet over high heat.
Add onion and bell peppers; cook, stirring frequently, for 4 to 5 minutes, or until onion is translucent.
Add garlic; cook, stirring frequently, for 1 minute.
Place onion mixture in 3-quart slow cooker.
Add broth, tomatoes (with juice), chickpeas, curry powder, maple syrup, ginger, salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper. Mix well; cover. Cook on high for 3 hours.
Add cauliflower. Mix well; cover. Cook on high for 1 hour.
Add spinach and coconut milk. Mix well; cover. Cook on high for 10 minutes, or until spinach wilts.