Healthy Lemon Poppyseed Baked Oatmeal Breakfast Cups
Now that the holidays are over and the kids are headed back to school, the lazy mornings are over. That means breakfast on the go. Forget the highly processed/pre-packaged breakfast foods and go for these delicious muffins that are loaded with complex carbs for lasting energy.
- 4 cups old fashioned oats, gluten free certified if necessary
- 1½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 2⅓ cup unsweetened almond milk
- ¼ cup coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup pure maple syrup
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp poppyseeds
Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees F. Add all ingredients to a large bowl and mix well until everything is combined.
Spray a muffin tin with cooking spray and scoop oatmeal mixture in using a large ice cream scoop or a 1/4 measuring cup. The mixture will be a little watery, so it’s important to mix well before each scoop to make sure you get an even combination of milk and oats.
Bake oatmeal cups for 20 minutes, or until cooked through.
Store oatmeal cups in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days and in the freezer for up tp 3 months. Want a little boost? Try these mix-ins:
- 1-2 tablespoons chia seeds – high in omega-3, fiber, antioxidants and protein
- 1-2 tablespoons hemp hearts – high in omegas and protein
- Protein powder – extra boost of protein