Eggs with Beet & Kale Hash
I always thought of beets just as a side dish or as a topping for my green salads. They really are quite versatile as you can see from this recipe.
- 1 lb. beets, washed, peeled and diced (use gloves to avoid staining your hands)
- 1/2 lb. sweet potatoes, scrubbed and diced
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 3-4 cloves of garlic, smashed and chopped
- Beet greens (from 6 beets), chopped
- 5-6 kale leaves, ribs removed, chopped
- 1-2 Tbsp. olive oil
- Handful fresh parsley
- 3-4 fried eggs
In a fry pan, put in diced raw beets and sweet potatoes with enough water to cover them (about 3 cups). Season with salt and bring to a boil and cook for about 7 minutes.
Drain and set aside the beets and potatoes.
In the same pan, add olive oil, onion and garlic and sauté for a few minutes.
Add in kale and beet greens, and cook until wilted (2- 3 mins). Set aside.
Heat oil in the fry pan over med-high heat. Add back potatoes and beets and press firmly into a layer, and allow the veggies to brown. Once crispy, flip to the other side.
Add kale and beet greens, stirring to combine. Let the entire mixture crisp up for another few minutes.
Top with 3-4 fried eggs and parsley. Serve immediately and enjoy!!