How Do Your Condiments Stack Up?
As the cookout season approaches, the use of delicious condiments increases. Picnic baskets are full of sandwiches and dinner tables are covered with hamburgers, sausages, and hotdogs. What are your go-to condiments? Are you aware that there are some that are better choices than others?
Some Condiment Stats
- Mayonnaise: 1 Tablespoon is 93 calories, 82mg sodium, and 0g sugar
- Hot Sauce: 1 Tablespoon is 2 calories, 344mg sodium, and 0g sugar
- Ketchup: 1 Tablespoon is 20 calories, 157mg sodium, and 4g sugar
- Whole Grain Dijon Mustard: 1 Tablespoon is 24 calories, 363mg sodium, and 1g sugar
- Sweet Relish: 1 Tablespoon is 18 calories, 112mg sodium, and 3.5g sugar
- Salsa: 1 Tablespoon is 5 calories, 79mg sodium, and <1g sugar
- Barbeque Sauce: 1 Tablespoon is 32 calories, 142mg sodium, and 6.5g sugar
Which Condiment Wins?
Hot sauce makes the most sense in regards to adding taste for the lowest amount of calories. Servings are usually as small as a teaspoon which means you can have plenty to add some heat and flavor! Just watch the salt intake. Hot sauce is high in sodium.
Consider using avocado slices instead of mayonnaise for a creamy taste that is a good healthy fat that has fewer calories.
Making Better Choices
As you search at the store consider locating products that are made with natural ingredients. Watch the salt and sugar level within in your food. Be aware of the portion sizes and control your intake. Condiments enhance the food taste, but you do not want to overdo it.